Bob
Bob, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  40 year GM Tech. +30 Certified. ASE Master Tech.(expired, retired) Medium Duty, Heavy Line, Retired
2210118

Gmc sierra 1500: stay running..it used the passlock theft deter

gmc sierra 1500 denali
1st time problem, started wouldn''t stay running more than 30 sec. I did this 5 times. Eventually I think it used the passlock theft deter. to shut off fuel. The symbol for theft deter. now comes on next to the check eng. symbol after a 5 to 10 sec ingnition attempt. Is there a reset of sorts for the anti-theft fuel shut off?
Category: Car
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

Hello, really sorry to hear that your having problems with the security feature on your truck. The biggest problems they have with tis system is the lock cylinder going bad for the ignition switch and not letting the code get through to the module. Or the wires from the pass lock inside the steering column breaking from all the flexing when the key is turned off and on. The sad part is that the system requires a class 2 scanner to test the system to find which component has failed and there are a lot of others that could cause the problem. I am going to post the relearn program for you below. If this will make the truck run, great. But if it does not, then your stuck with having the system scanned to find the problem. There is no practical way of bypassing the system as part of it is an actual soft ware program that is installed into the module and you would need to write a complete new software program and install it to even begin to bypass the theft system. Thanks

30 Minute Learn Procedure

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON; the vehicle will not start.
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale; after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes; the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
Bob, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 40 year GM Tech. +30 Certified. ASE Master Tech.(expired, retired) Medium Duty, Heavy Line, Retired
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
now the security tell tale doesn't stay on, thanks for advice but i guess its not the passlock thing. going to tow to dealer. try u again in future glad i found your site
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. Hope repairs don't run too much. Thanks for using JA, hope we can help you in the future.