Hog Rider
Hog Rider, Transmission Technician
Experience:  Transmission Rebulider of 19 year's . A.T.R.A. and A.T.S.G. Certifications of Completion of 9 year's

97 cherokee sport: automatic) keep stalling out? it..slowing down

Customer Question

why does my 97 cherokee sport (automatic) keep stalling out? it seems to happen most when I''m slowing down...
Category: Car
Expert:  Hog Rider replied 8 years ago.

Need a bit more detailed info.

Does your Jeep feel like the Engine is being held back at the time of stalling ?

If you Quickly put it into Nuetral is it ok ?

does it stall any other times?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes, feels like engine is being held back. can't get it into neutral fast enough to stop from stalling. I managed to gun the engine when the rpms were dropping and got the engine to keep going once, but it usually happens very quickly. it doesn't matter if we're on an incline or flat, it just stalls when we let off the gas...
Expert:  Hog Rider replied 8 years ago.

The Converter clutch in the Torque converter is not releasing properly Thus Just like a stick shift not releasing the clutch when stoped .

I recommend having your 3/4 - TCC (torque Converter clutch) solonoid pack in the transmission replaced

If this has failed it will not allow release of the clutch