Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8. When my check engine ...

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8. When my check engine light comes on, its like the computer is telling the transmission to start out in high gear. when i put my foot on the gas, it doesn''t move right away but the RPMs go up to 2 and then it starts to move and make a loud reving sound. it doesn''t jerk but it doesn''t do it all the time. Only when the check engine light comes on. (about every other day) no diagnosic codes come up when the computer is checked out buy mechanics. do you know what the problem is? What can i do? Transmission is fine. i have had it checked. do i need a new computer or speed input/output sensor in the transmission?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 years ago.
It may not have an engine code set, but it may have a body or trans code set. You need to have it scanned by a dealer or shop that has Chrysler spec equipment. If the check engine light is on and there really is no codes, then the computer itself is bad.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Ted G.'s Post: is there a way to reset it or reboot it? I have heard of people disconnecting the battery for a while and then it works fine.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 years ago.
That will sometimes clear it for a sort time, but if a sensor is failing it will return. Remove the battery for at least 30 seconds and see what happens.