Robert
Robert, Technician
Experience:  6 years experience with car repair.
3862310

2002 Honda Cr-v: with a 2.4L engine..alternator..mechanics

I have a 2002 Honda Cr-v with a 2.4L engine. I had the alternator replaced but battery light is still on, the mechanics say the system is charging fine. how do I get the battery light off ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 9 years ago.

Hi There!

Thanks For Choosing Just Answer!

Is the battery light flashing?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to gmplus's Post: it stays on
Expert:  Robert replied 9 years ago.

OK

What was it doing prior to replacing the alternator? Was it just on or Flashing? Did they ever load test your Battery?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
it was always on and it was load tested
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
my response was always on load tested
Expert:  Robert replied 9 years ago.

OK

There are some troubleshooting Procedures. If the alternator was rebuilt I would have it re-checked. Sometimes re-built alternators can cause issues. Most likely you have a short to ground causing the light to stay on. Below is a link for some information on the battery light. I hope this helps.

TESTING

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
alternator is new does have alot of glue around the ground
Expert:  Robert replied 9 years ago.

OK

That's good it is a new alternator, I would clean the grounds up, check your battery cables also, make sure they are clean and free of corrosion. Sometimes they will put what is called NCP on the terminals its basically a anticorrison inhibitor. So if it looks red I wouldn't mess with it. There is a test procedure in what I sent you, to tell if it is the alternator or the wiring for the indicator light, It is sounding like it is this wire.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
car is running still looking to get light off is it as simple as a pedal tap as you would do after a oil change or possible a internal problem
Expert:  Robert replied 9 years ago.

NO

This is going to take some troubleshooting on the wiring. There is no simple way to re-set the light, I wish there was. I know what you mean about the oil change deal with resetting that. You do have the information, and I would present this if you have the car worked on.