Porsche Audi tech
Porsche Audi tech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 year ASE,Porsche,Audi Factory Trained Master Tech Ase L1 advanced Engine Performance Certified

2002 Jaguar s type: s towed..dealership..ignition switch..gear shift

This is fo a Jaguar not a chevy
My 2002 Jaguar s type will not start. when it''s towed into the dealership it starts. I''ve had the transmission rebuilt, the ignition switch changed and the gear shift box thing replaced. I''ve only driven it 10,000 miles and now it''s been in the shop for 30 days. I''m not happy. Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Porsche Audi tech replied 8 years ago.

How long must the car sit before it no starts? When it will not start will the engine crank or will it not make a sound. How long has this been going on and how many miles are in it now? Is the trans manual or automatic and was it rebuilt for this problem or did this start after the rebuild

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Porsche Audi tech's Post: Hi,
Over night.
Will not crank. Sometimes makes 2 clicks that come from the middle of the car, above the shifter.
It's an automatic.
I bought the car last Feb. 2007. It first happened in March. Then once in July. Then in Nov. that's when I got the new ignition. Then in Dec. I had it towed in for that reason but I also felt the transmission slipping and it was. As soon as it's towed and off the truck it starts. So this last time I brought the service manager to my house and it didn't start. Towed it in and it has started everytime. He's driving it this weekend to see if it will do it again. It leaves no code that anything went wrong.
Thank you!
Thank you for the info. i am going to talk to the forman in the Jag shop at work (he is a 33 year Jag tech) and I will get back to you.

Hello again

I talked the to the Jag foreman at the dealer.Have you ever tried to wiggle the shifter lever when `it will not start or put it in neutral and see if it starts with your foot on the brake of course? He told me the transmission range switch (neutral safety switch) is prone to fail and very tricky to adjust when it is replaced.He has even seen brand new replacement switches that are defective right out of the box as well.