Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

84 Seville: Liter..Car starts easy, before it sits 15 mins

Customer Question

I have an 84 Seville with the 4.1 Liter gas motor. Car starts and runs excellent however when car is left off for between 15 and 60 minutes after having been brought to normal temp it is almost impossible to start. After an hour it starts easy, before it sits 15 mins it starts easy. I suspect that the fuel injector pressure is slowly leaking into the manifold and causing a flooded state, as even starting fluid wont help the problem. Is there a throttle body leak that is common?
Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 8 years ago.

Hello western, Super mechanic here. I just have a couple of questions about your Seville.

Does it crank over fast enough when it is giving you the no start problem?

Can you get any trouble codes from it? You would be able to see if the fuel is dripping from the injectors into the throttle body on that engine.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Car cranks fine, has a good battery. The service engine light on the dash is sometimes on and sometimes off, doesnt correspond to the running, just comes on when it feels like it.
Are there screw in type injectors on this car, or is the injection thru the throttle body only?

I have not tried to read the code or codes and not certain the procedure to do that.. Brian
Expert:  Jerry replied 8 years ago.

Well, the injectors are right in the top of the throttle body. If you hold in the off and warm buttons on the ATC, (auto temp controls) for about 5 seconds with the key on engine off, it will go through a series of trouble codes, You might want to write them down.