MikeL, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE master/Audi Master Guild

2002 VW Jetta: cold so I left the car running..warm..trip..gas station

Customer Question

I have a 2002 VW Jetta 2.0 auto. This morning on my way to work I stopped for gas. It was cold so I left the car running, since I didn't let it warm up before making the 800 ft trip to the nearest gas station. While Pumping my gas my car died and would not start. I left it there for a few hours then went back to see if it would start but unfortunately it did not. It turns over but will not crank. If I keep the ignition turned over after about 10-15 seconds the oil light starts flashing. Any Ideas, suggestions or magic spells will be greatly appreciated.
Category: Car
Expert:  MikeL replied 8 years ago.

It is likely that the fuel pump has failed. They often fail when fueling or just after. You will need to do a fuel pressure test at the fuel rail on the engine to confirm.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It's getting fuel to the engine. I removed the fuel line and tried to start the car and I got fuel.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks anyway.