Robert, Technician
Experience:  6 years experience with car repair.

99 audi A4: 1.9 tdi an the battery keeps draining..completely dead

I have a 99 audi A4 1.9 tdi an the battery keeps draining on it over night.I replaced the old battery to see did it solve the problem but when i tried to start my car the new battery was completely dead also.Is their any help you can give me with this problem.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

Hi There!

Thanks For Choosing Just Answer!

There is a very good test to tell what is draining your battery down. You will need a test light that you can pick up at almost any Auto Part store for a few bucks.Remove negative battery cable from the battery. Using a 12-volt test light, hook one end to the negative battery post the other end to the negative battery cable you just disconnected. The test light will glow or "light" if there is a drain. If the "light or glow" is faint, that is probably normal draw for the clock or computer. If the "light or glow" is bright, then there is a large drain. That should be corrected. Now start removing and replacing the fuses one by one until the light goes out; that one will be the circuit with the drain. Remember to hold in the button in the door jam for the interior lights. This should point you in the direction on what is causing the drain.

Thank You! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!!