Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Mechanic
Experience:  35 years/Master Tech. Foreign and Domestic

My car sounds like it has ran out of gas, but it has a full ...

Customer Question

My car sounds like it has ran out of gas, but it has a full tank of gas. I know its not the starter or battery. I was thinking it could be the fuel filter or a fuel pump. Before I take it in I just wanted to get a general idea of what it could be
Category: Car
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 8 years ago.

It could very well be the fuel filter or pump, however it will require some testing to confirm. The fuel pumps on these are common to fail. Its located in the gas tank and the tank has to come out to replace it,,,your looking at about 2 hours labor and around $350 for the pump. So it cdould run around $500 for the repair.

Once you get it to a shop, they can test the fuel system pretty easy and be able to tell you.

If you have further questions on this, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for asking!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Virtual Wrench's Post: Should the fuel filter be replace first..and how hard is that to replace. Is that something that I can do

Its pretty involved to replace it, and requires a special tool for the connections,,,,here is the location if you want to try it,,,,,pretty hard to get to :-(

Thanks for asking!