Hog Rider
Hog Rider, Transmission Technician
Experience:  Transmission Rebulider of 19 year's . A.T.R.A. and A.T.S.G. Certifications of Completion of 9 year's
3959815

automatic transmission..final drive gear..manually..driven..quits

The automatic transmission will lag or take off real slow when cold. It also will act like it shifts into neutral instead of 3rd or 4th whichever the final drive gear is.I will shift it manually into neutral when it does this and back into drive which sometimes cause a hard jerk into drive. When the car has been driven several miles the problem quits.I have tried moving the shift lever through all the gears before take off but it doesn''t seem to help.

Hello divada,

I,m sorry i,m the one to tell you the bad news But your transmission needs an overhaul,

See this is a common problem in a 1988 car, your Transmission The ZF4HP22

Is a well built transmission but unfortanally the Rubber O-Rings and seals Internally,from Age , Hot and Cold Tempatures get Hard and will not seal Properly until warmed up....

just like putting a rubber band in the freezer , It`s stiff till warmed then it will relax and stretch easily.

I would Not recommend any additive as it could do Harm to the internal parts that are still serviceable, a Minor overhaul will cost less than a full rebuild ! Wink

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
How much longer will this last until minor overhaul is a must and how much does this minor overhaul cost approximately?

In the case we spoke of the trans being so well built you wouldnt want to wait months to have it repaired , see you may do more damage by waiting to long . Here on the East coast an Overhaul on the ZF4HP22 could run anywhere from $1000 to $1800.

Just Price shop first.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Dear Hog Rider,Thank you for the great help. I now have an expert opinion to help me price shop.It pays to have that when dealing with the automotive world!