roger, small engines,muscle cars
Experience:  I have twenty three years experience in small engines,thirteen years in building muscle cars,twenty

CTS: Have had 11 different tires on car, rotated..vibrates..60 mph

Customer Question

Have 06 CTS 3.6L engine. Have had 11 different tires on car, rotated all --- have had road force balance done and car still vibrates at above 60 mph. I have asked the dealers about drive shaft and axle shaft balance and they shrug it off --- they say it can''t be. Any suggestions????
Category: Car
Expert:  roger replied 8 years ago.
Hello,It is not uncommon to have a warped wheel.If you barely bump those on a curb they will bend and all the balancing in the world wont correct it.You could have drive shaft problems but really unlikely.Since you have have been through 11 tires and rotated and balance that pretty much eliminates a tire problem.You have to look at wheel closely on a balancing machine to see if it is warped.It doesnt take much to be out of round.hope this helps.Thanks for your question.Roger
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Wheels have all been checked. All OK ??
Expert:  roger replied 8 years ago.
Is the vibration in the steering wheel or the car?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Not at all. The vibration is coming up through the seat. At one point we rotated the fronts to the back to see if we could get the vibration to come through the steering wheel. It did not. We got the same "through the seat" vibration after moving the wheels. ???
Expert:  roger replied 8 years ago.
Well that changes things.Did you check transmission and engine mounts?You could have a bad u joint?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, none of these have been cheked. I will have the dealer check these out. Thank you for the info.

If you have any other suggestions, please advise.

Thanks again.
Expert:  roger replied 8 years ago.
Let me know how that goes.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Expert:  roger replied 8 years ago.