Porsche Audi tech
Porsche Audi tech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 year ASE,Porsche,Audi Factory Trained Master Tech Ase L1 advanced Engine Performance Certified

1997 audi a4: sport..the revs get higher and i engage the clutch

Hi,my car is a 1997 audi a4 1.8t sport. The problem is,when driving the car and revving it through the gears,as the revs get higher and i engage the clutch to change gear,the revs do not drop quickly enough and consequently the car then over revs. What do you think could be causing this? Some say these models have trouble with the throttle valve but my car does not suffer from loss of power or stalling. There are quite a lot of electrical components on these cars and don''t really know where to begin,although i am pretty mechanically minded,if not electrically. Any help would be much apprieciated,thankyou.

Hello Mr Hobson

The engine RPM not dropping fast enough on these car when driving them hard is a known glitch in the computers programing.The dual mass flywheel also is not helping either.Audi stance is the cars are fine they are not meant to be race cars.The fuel map in the computer is designed to give the best performance and reliability and fuel economy while the dual mass is there to give the smoothest and reliable clutch engagement. I know a lot of people who have had there cars chipped or flashed and a single mass flywheel put in for better performance and it has improved the over rev issues.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My engine is already remapped and the guy i bought it from,said that it was not as bad before the work was done. Perhaps if i got it remapped myself,it might cure the problem,what do you think.
Do you know what was use on your car.l have had to deal with allot of crappy software and bad chips over the years. I tend to like APR's products the best so far. The are less buggie. So yes start there especially is it got worse after it was done
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi,will try and find out what software was used. Thanks for your help and will look at the web site you supplied.
TRhankyou and good luck.