Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager

99 seville: the radiator flushed out, and the water pump..Dave

I have a 99 seville 4.6 the motor runs hot at times and other times it runs normal sometimes for days. Ive had a new thermostat put in and the radiator flushed out, and the water pump checked.. and still the same thing. Thanx Dave

Hi Dave and welcome to just answer, Super tech here. I just have a couple of questions about your Seville.

When it runs hot, are the fans comming on?

Does the cooling system hold pressure?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Super mechanic's Post: the fans do come on. I can be driving and the temp moves over quick and then it can go back to normal just like that also.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
as for holding pressure I havent checked that yet

It sounds like there may just be a big air pocket in there. Some of the fill procedures these days are very vauge when it comes to knowing that the system is full.

What I do is, run it and fill it as normal, then shut it off, after about 10 minutes, fill and the start. It will get warm, fill some more, and keep repeating this for about 30 minutes. Eventually, it will be totally full. In the event that this is not what has been hapening, you would have to check the cooling system for any exhaust gases, (which is something i do first if I have the chance) to be sure that the heads or head gaskets did not incure any extensive damage.

Oh, and you would want to make sure that the coolant cap is holding pressure. If the system is building up pressure, then the cap is good.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Super mechanic's Post: how do I check exhaust gases in the cooling system?
Oh, i'm sorry. If you don't have a shop in your area with an emission anilyzer, you can pick up a block tester, (they call it) at like Autozone. I think they go for about $20 and it comes with the blue liquid that it uses to detect exhaust gases, (hc and co)
Ahts alright. I don't know how it works on that end. Do you have to accept before we are done?