Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician

97 Jeep Grand Cherokee: my vehicle..stripped..o2 sensor..there a tool

my vehicle is a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I stripped the threads on the O2 sensor inside and the sensor itself. Is it a common thread? Is there a tool for it?
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.

This is not an unusual thing to happen...

The thread size is 18mm x 1.50; you can buy a tap this size at most hardware or auto parts stores to restore teh threads in the pipe. IF the threads are too far gone to restore with a tap, you can buy a steel ring with this size threads inside (made just for this purpose) to weld onto the pipe over the damaged hole. The last time I needed one of these repair rings, I ordered it from our local NAPA parts store overnight.

The sensor is going to need to be replaced with a new one if the threads are damaged; there is not enough thread to be able to screw on a thread die to repair the threads on a sensor.

When assembling, a tiny dab of anti-sieze lubricant on the threads will make it easier to remove next time...

Hope this helps!