Steve
Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician
157173

is there a fuse that powers the speedometer and rpm meter ...

Customer Question

is there a fuse that powers the speedometer and rpm meter in a chevy 1500 truck. year 2000
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 9 years ago.
Hello!
In this model there is no dedicated fuse that powers up either or both of these instruments. Your instrument cluster is actually a computer module that communicates with the other modules in the vehicle over a data communications network. The problem you are experiencing can either be that the required engine speed and vehicle speed signals are not reaching the instrument panel cluster over the network (although they are obviously present elsewhere in the vehicle or you would be experiencing all kinds of other problems), or you have an internal problem in the Instrument panel itself.
This is not really the type of problem you can diagnose nor fix at home in the driveway; a Tech-2 scan tool with programming capability is going to be needed for repair. All GM dealerships and many larger independent shops have this equipment.
To begin with, the scan tool will be needed to make sure the missing signals are being generated present at other points in the network. Then, the IPC has self diagnostic capability and can generate and store internal fault codes; the Tech-2 is needed to retrieve these fault codes for diagnosis. Then, if the IPC requires replacement, the Tech-2 will be required to program the new IPC with the correct software for your truck before it will operate.
Internal instrument cluster failures are very common on this model. More than likely, the IPC will need to be removed and either replaced with a new one and programmed, or sent out to a Delco repair center to be repaired.
I hope this is helpful!
Expert:  Steve replied 9 years ago.
Hello!
I have noticed that you have not yet accepted the answer I provided for your question.
If there is some way I can be of further assistance, please let me know.
If not, then please click the accept button to close the question; JA does not pay us for the time we invest in helping you unless you click the accept button.
Thanks!