RIP
RIP, Lead Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Smog - European, Domestic, & Asian -- Car Category Mentor
1100518

mitsubishi galant: 4cyl..while driven the car..battery power..autozone

Customer Question

I have a Mitsubshi Galant 2001 4cyl, while driven the car suddenly shut off, it had battery power but the starter would not turn over an start the car. Autozone checked the starter and altenater both passed.
Category: Car
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer.

1. Is the car now running fine? Or is it still dead in the water?
  2. How many miles are on it?
  3. Did you remove the starter and alternator for autozone to test, or were they tested on the vehicle?

Rip

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to RIP's Post: dead, 11000, starter removed for test.

Also Its strange that the compression is zero every were, the timing belts ok.. was never any strange noises with the car. the cam and crankshalfs turn
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX compression is 0, you'll need to remove the timing covers and check the crank and cam timing marks. The timing belt could have slipped and caused the valves to touch the pistons..which is common to these. If the timing belt and marks are definitly good, you'll need to do a leak down test, with a leak down tester, to issolate where the compression in going.

Rip

RIP, Lead Technician
Experience: A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Smog - European, Domestic, & Asian -- Car Category Mentor
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to RIP's Post: Ive removed cover the marks on the cam and crank looks good, but the mark on the banlance shalft would not line up. And the only code I received from the PCM was P0335 (crankshalfe falure) but this do sound like a good observation I can excepted.
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

The balance shaft marks will only cause a vibration but not a compression loss. Just to be sure, have you tried your compression guage on another car? Also, when you crank the engine, does it sound like it spins fast?

Rip

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
two compression were done my self and shop, no it does not spin fast while trying the crank the engine. seems normal

It did not make any sound when died, the car just stalled.
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

And are all the cylinder compression readings at 0 psi? Or is there even 10-20 psi?

Rip

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Zero, thats what strange
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

Alright...the next step would be to do a Leak Down test...we need to know where the compression is escaping. If it's the valves, the head can be pulled and repaired...if it's through the piston rings, we'll know where we stand...in most cases it's better to install a good used or rebuilt enigne if the problem lies in the rings.

Rip

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX its that can be done know
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the ACCEPT, let me know if you have trouble with the Leak Down Test..

Rip