Joel
Joel, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  18 years and growing GM, ASE certified. Specializing in Chevy, Buick, Olds, Pontiac.ASK!
5217488

2001 Pontiac Montana: Van..Transmission went out and had to be rebuilt

2001 Pontiac Montana Van. Transmission went out and had to be rebuilt. Mechanic used all GM parts. Said the pump went bad, causing the torque converter to go bad and the graphite got into transmission. Anyway, R & R transmisson and got it back today. Shifts good and everything works fine in transmission. However, the message center reads "Service Traction Control" and ABS light stays on , as well as Trac off light. Traction control button will not work anymore. Transmission guy said message will eventually go off, but as of 30 miles later message still comes on for about a minute on message board, but ABS and trac off light stays on and traction control switch does not work. Owner'' manual and Haynes service manual says that if there is an ABS issue that affects the traction control, it will turn off. I do know that I need to replace the rotors and pads, but also know that the traction switch and ABS light was not on when sent to shop. Is there a sensor left unhooked from R&R ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Joel replied 6 years ago.
Hello and welcome. I would have to say the abs problem is the whole thing. It is quite possible that the harness for the lf. front(drivers side) wheel speed sensor, or even the rt. side, was not connected. To get the trans. out, they have to remove the frame and control arms, axles, etc. the wires for the sensors run along the frame rails and lower control arms. with such a repair done, the shop should definetly at least scan the system for codes. Too much has to come aprt when doing the trans. for this to be coincidense. Any good shop would scan it or put it up in the air and at least take a look.
Joel, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 18 years and growing GM, ASE certified. Specializing in Chevy, Buick, Olds, Pontiac.ASK!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Already lost days from work while repair was done. Can I do this myself? Isn't the connnection for the wheel speed sensors located just behind the fl and fr wheels? Could it be pulled loose somewhere else. If it all possible I need to be able to locate this myself. Transmission shop closes before I get home and not open on Friday.Thanks.
Expert:  Joel replied 6 years ago.
Yes, the harnesses run along the frame rail, onto the lower control arm, then plug in just behind the axle. The wheel speed sensor is part of the hub, and the lead sticks out right next to axle. Soun ds like you would be able to do this yourself. If they are ok, it is possible they pinched a wire putting everything back together, which would be more difficult to locate.