Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness

How long does front wheel bearing last.I

How long does front wheel bearing last.I purchased a 2003 Kia Sorento back in July 2004. It was only one owner who purchased it new in January 1, 2003. So he only had it for one year. The left front wheel bearing wore out in June 2005. Now the right front are being replaced. Are they suppose to be going out that soon. If not has there been a recall on the bearing between 2003 and now.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 years ago.
Sealed hub bearings are not serviceable like older cars. On older cars whenever you had a brake job the mechanic would pull the bearings, clean them and pack new grease in them. Now they are sealed and not serviceable at all, so all the little bits of metal that always wear off the bearing surfaces stay right there in the grease, which makes more metal wear off, etc.So the life of a wheel bearing is somewhere less than it would have been if serviced regularly like they used to be. Also any kind of shock like rubbing or hitting curbs, potholes, etc can put small dents or chips in the bearing rollers, and add to the wear. There has been no recall on your vehicle, I ran it on the NHTSA/NTSB database.