Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

My car shakes at speeds over 60MPH what could it be

Customer Question

My whole car shakes extremely bad when going over 60mph, once I let off the gas its very smooth like its new again. I changed the rear trans mount because it was broken and the others look worn but nothing bad. This did not solve the problem. This was a used car, but I had it for a year before this started to happen and it got worse over time. I had the tires changed. since then I have done the balancing and rotated. The alignment is fine. I have no weird clicking noises when I turn. I dont want to change every mount to fix the issue if this is not the problem. Please help.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ted G. replied 6 years ago.

So if you accelerate the car it shakes but when you coast it stops? Does it happen anywhere below 60, like when accelerating hard? if you are just maintaining speed at 60 plus does it do it?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Ted G.'s Post: If I coast with no acceleration then there is no shaking. But if I am maintaining my speed by keeping my foot on the gas then the shaking is still there. If I accelerate hard from a dead stop I still do not feel the shake till about 55 or so. After about 55 the shaking gets horrible until I get up to about 85 then it mellows out and doesnt shake quite as bad but remains there. Hopefully this helps!

Thanks Alot for your time
Expert:  Ted G. replied 6 years ago.
I suspect you have loose inner CV joints on the front axles. Under a load they tend to spin in an egg shaped pattern and shake. When you decel they tend to center and the shaking stops. Most will do it over 40 or so miles per hour, so yours is consistent. If the car is properly supported on a lift sometimes the play can be felt by a technician, this is especially true if it is on a "drive-on" lift so the axle is at it's normal angle.