wrench9124
wrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Master Certified, ASE Master Certified, 32 years exp, GM Hybrid Certified, GM Mark of Excellence
5720312

99 grand prix: I need to replace a solenoid

Customer Question

I need to replace a solenoid on 99 grand prix transmission and I cannot find any info. on how too can you help
Category: Car
Expert:  wrench9124 replied 8 years ago.
Hello, what solenoid are you looking for?? there are several solenoids on this vehicle!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Part # XXXXX XXXXX and it is for toque converter

Hello the tcc sol. it is mounted inside the transmission mounted to valve body. removal of the trans side cover is required to access. not sure what you are trying to repair, maybe a trouble code and check engine light. these vehicles are know for the transmission pressure control solenoids to fail which is also mounted on the valve blody. here is a picture of the tcc sol.

Automatic Transmission Electronic Component Views

FIGURE Electronic Component Locations(c)

Object Number: 331088  Size: LF

(10)Vehicle Speed Sensor
(315a)1-2, 3-4 Shift Solenoid Valve Assembly
(315b)2-3 Shift Solenoid Valve Assembly
(315c)TCC Solenoid Valve Assembly
(325)PWM Solenoid
(391)Temperature Sensor

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes i got a check engine light do you need the code to determine what solenoid to replace?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How dose a person know what solenoid has trip engine light will the code determine which one to replace.? cause 315 a,b & c all look the same.
a trouble code would help, it would give us a better idea on what circuit to look at. if you dont have a dtc, you can have the system scanned for codes at most auto parts store like autozone. they will do for free. also do you have any transmission symtoms?? harsh shifts??? delayed shifts?? no torque converter clutch?? things like this. i am real interested on the dtc. this vehicle is real common for pressure control sol. failures, and also i have seen some cases of wires rub thru at a/c pipes and aculamtor
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Where can i go to info on how to change soleniod for start to finish?