mackin1
mackin1, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Foreign/Domestic Vehicles

1995 Jeep Wrangler: hard starting..it warms..cranking..to my mechanic

My 1995 Jeep Wrangler is hard starting in cold weather. Once it warms up it starts on the first try but let it sit for a couple of hours especially in cold weather and it takes about four tries of cranking before it will start. I have had it checked and the fuel pump pressure is good according to my mechanic. It has been tuned up etc. This is a recent development. The engine is new out of the crate last year. Also when it is being driven there is an intermitant miss. It almost feels like you are driving over a bunp but you do feel a loss of power. There does not seem to be a pattern for example when it is accellerating etc. It happens when it is stopped for a traffic light. Are these problems related?
Category: Car
Expert:  mackin1 replied 6 years ago.

Hi there and welcome to JA

Check the coolant temperature sensor this one suppose to give fuel during initial cold starts and also the throttle position sensor might have a weak spot in it causing hesistation

mackin1, Auto Service Technician
Experience: Foreign/Domestic Vehicles
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I checked with my mechanic, the car is there now, he said that he replaced the coolant temperature sensor on a previous time when I recently had the car there for the same problem. He also said that his test instruments did not show any problem with the throttle position sensor. I'm still at a loss. For your information, the mechanic I use has a great local reputation and is not suspected of "milking his customers. In fact he insists that I take the car and drive it for a while to be sure the problem is fixed before he will accept payment. The problem we have had is that the local weather has been quite mild and some times it appears as though the problem is corrected only to have a cold night and there it is again.
Expert:  mackin1 replied 6 years ago.
Tell him to double check the ASD relay-this one powers the coil/injectors/fuel pump-this relay goes nothing is gonna happen if its failing. Remove the ASD relay and reset it back in and see what happens
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm more than happy to authorize the $15 payment however my mechanic is closed so I'm unable to check your most recent recommendation with him until Monday. I do remember him saying that he did REPLACE a relay in the fuel pump system. I'm not sure if you guys are talking about the same relay and if so, whether in needs to be reset some way my mechanic may have overlooked. I will check with him tomorrow and get back to you.