Dan, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  GM ASEP A.A.S. 14 years GM experience. Mark of Excellence and Professional Guild awarded.
4976144

2002 pontiac sunfire se: cranks..It sounds..transmission fluid

mike B85, my 2002 pontiac sunfire se cranks like it wants to start but it wont. It sounds like maybe its not getting enough fluid or gas or something. I still dont know where to put the transmission fluid.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

Have you replaced the fuel filter then checked fuel pressure with key on engine off? Any trouble codes setting or is there a nice blue spark at more than one cylinder? There should be at least 40-50 psi fuel pressure and not bleed off more than 10 psi when the pump stops. If so then suspect a faulty fuel pump (replace the fuel filter for sure with a new pump for added insurance). Here is how to add transmission fluid.

The fill cap is red and on top of the transmission down under the air cleaner assembly (a long transmission funnel is required to reach the hole without removing the air cleaner assembly).

Transmission Fluid Check

Object Number: 727828  Size: SH
Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=

The oil level control plug (65) is located on the torque converter side of the transmission.

Step

Action

Value(s)

Yes

No

1

1. Start the engine and allow the engine to idle until the transmission fluid temperature has reached the value specified.
  2. Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through the gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each range. Return the shift lever to the PARK range.
  3. Raise the vehicle on a hoist. The vehicle must be level, with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.

Caution: The engine must be running when the transmission fluid fill plug is removed, or excessive fluid loss will occur. Transmission fluid may be hot. Since the actual fluid level is unknown, stand clear when removing the fill plug. Have a container ready to capture any lost fluid. Do not turn the engine off with the fill plug removed, as you can be injured by hot transmission fluid being expelled out of the oil fill opening.

4. Remove the transmission oil level control plug (65). See drawing above.

Important: The transmission fluid may darken with normal use and does not always indicate contamination or oxidation.

5. Check the fluid color. If necessary, use a small screwdriver as a dipstick.

Is the fluid color clear red or light brown with no burnt odor?

At least 40°C (104°F)

Go to Step 4

Go to Step 2

2

Does the fluid have a burnt odor or a dark brown color?

--

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 3

3

Does the fluid have a cloudy or milky appearance?

--

Go to Step 7

Go to Step 8

4

Check the fluid level. The fluid level should be even with the bottom of the threaded plug hole.

Is the fluid level low?

--

Go to Step 5

Go to Step 11

5

Add DEXRON®III automatic transmission fluid in increments of 0.5 L (0.5 qt) until the fluid drains from the plug hole.

Did you add more than 1.5 L (1.6 qt) to the transmission?

--

Go to Step 6

Go to Step 11

6

The transmission may have a leak. Refer to Fluid Leak Diagnosis .

Was a transmission fluid leak found?

--

Go to Step 9

Go to Step 11

7

The transmission fluid is contaminated with engine coolant. Repair or replace the transmission cooler in the radiator.

Is the transmission cooler repair complete?

--

Go to Step 9

--

8

1. Drain the fluid by removing the bottom pan.

Important: A very small amount of material in the bottom of the bottom pan is a normal condition.

2. Check the bottom pan for any excessive debris.

Was excessive debris found?

--

Go to Step 9

Go to Step 10

9

1. Repair the transmission if required. In some cases, overhaul may be required.
  2. Flush the transmission oil cooler and pipes and check flow. Refer to Transmission Fluid Cooler Flushing and Flow Test .
  3. Add enough DEXRON®III automatic transmission fluid to bring the fluid level to the bottom of the threaded plug hole.
  4. Start the engine and allow the engine to idle until the transmission fluid temperature has reached the value specified.
  5. Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through the gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each range. Return the shift lever to the PARK range.
  6. Raise the vehicle on a hoist. The vehicle must be level, with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.

7. Remove the transmission plug.
  8. If needed, add DEXRON®III automatic transmission fluid in increments of 0.5 L (0.5 qt) until the fluid drains from the threaded plug hole.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Important: Before installing the fill plug, apply GM P/N 12345382 (Canadian P/N 10953489) to the thread of the line pressure plug.

9. Allow fluid to finish draining out of the plug hole. Install the plug and tighten to specified value.
  10. Wipe any excess fluid from the transmission with a rag or shop towel.

Is the repair complete?

At least 40°C (104°F)

12 N·m (9 lb ft)

System OK

--

10

1. Change the fluid and the fluid filter. Refer to Automatic Transmission Fluid Filter and Seal Replacement .
  2. Start the engine and allow the engine to idle until the transmission fluid temperature has reached the value specified.
  3. Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through the gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each range. Return the shift lever to the PARK range.
  4. Raise the vehicle on a hoist. The vehicle must be level with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.

5. Remove the transmission plug.
  6. If needed, add DEXRON®III automatic transmission fluid in increments of 0.5 L (0.5 qt) until the fluid drains from the threaded plug hole.

7. Allow fluid to finish draining out of the plug hole. Install the plug and tighten to specified value.
  8. Wipe any excess fluid from the transmission with a rag or shop towel.

Is the repair complete?

At least 40°C (104°F)

12 N·m (9 lb ft)

System OK

--

11

1. Allow fluid to finish draining out of the plug hole. Install the plug and tighten to specified value.
  2. Wipe any excess fluid from the transmission with a rag or shop towel.

Is the repair complete?

12 N·m (9 lb ft)

System OK

--

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dan's Post: does the pontiac sunfire se 2002 have a dipstick to check the transmission fluid?
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
No, there is no dipstick. In the afore mentioned you need to remove the plug on the lower side of the transmission as you are looking at the right side of the transmission (a lift is most ideal for this because you can have the car level and easier access to the plug). You put fluid into the transmission thru the filler hole on top of the transmission (the cap is visible down under the air filter assembly and is usually black or red in color).
Dan, Auto Service Technician
Experience: GM ASEP A.A.S. 14 years GM experience. Mark of Excellence and Professional Guild awarded.