Brian9
Brian9, Automotive Technician
Experience:  14 years automotive experience, ASE certified, Expert Technician in driveability.
3611298

2002 lincoln ls: light comes..occurs..the car wont shift past 40 mph

Customer Question

2002 lincoln ls v8 w/96k miles. check transmission light comes on sporadically and gear display registers E (instead of actual gear that car is in, i think E means error). when this occurs ,it causes a loss of power and the car wont shift past 40 mph. however if i pull over and shutoff the car and then restart it the problem corrects itself, until next time it happens which couuld be in an hour from then or a few days later. had tune up done and a diagnostic test showed that coil # XXXXX was misfiring, so i replaced that also, but problem is still existent. another issue with car is that it has a creak from the front driver side wheel are every time i pick up or slowdown. alredy replaced brakes, sway bar, sway bar links,and upper ball joint with the control arm, but car still makes creaking noise?
Category: Car
Expert:  Brian9 replied 6 years ago.

First, The transmision problem can probably relate to the park/neutral switch on the transmission wich usually gets damaged by water. I would be curious if the transmission has set it's own codes. Common problem part. The squeak could be an outer tierod or the very problamatic lower ball joint. Dreadfully the lower ball joint is sold with the hub assembly dealer part only. It should be checked for play or broken boot with any signs of rust. The LF ball joint has been known to fracture aswell. Let me know.
Brian9, Automotive Technician
Experience: 14 years automotive experience, ASE certified, Expert Technician in driveability.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
where in the car is the park/nuetral switch, and how much would it cost to fix?
my mechanic said that he checked the lower ball joint for damage, and it looked good , thats why i did the upper ball joint. is there any way to check the outer tire rod?(is it possible that the noise is a bushing or a strut?)
Expert:  Brian9 replied 6 years ago.

Yes, it is possible that the strut is causing the noise under a forward or backward motion as it travels up and down. Also make sure that the lower control arm bushings to the frame are in good shape and possibly spray with lubricant to see if that may resolve the noise. The upper wouldn't be the issue because the only way to replace those upper ball joints is with the upper control arm assembly from the dealer. The range sensor is located on the driver side of the transmission and looks like a black box with an electrical connector. The shift lever goes right through the middle of it. List on the part is about 60 bucks and takes 1.6 hours to replace. Pretty easy. Just have to remove the sheild underneath to see if water has been intruding into it to prove it being at fault.