Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

2000 Mazda MPV: P0106 CEL code..changing..MAP Sensor..tested

Customer Question

How to fix P0106 CEL code on 2000 Mazda MPV? will changing the MAP Sensor work or something needs to be tested before the sensor change
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 9 years ago.

DTC P0106 - Baro circuit problem.

The PCM monitors differences between intake manifold vacuum and atmospheric pressure at idle. This signal is from the EGR boost sensor and is switched by the EGR boost sensor solenoid. When the difference is lees than 1.9 in. Hg, it will set DTC P0106. Possible causes:

• Faulty EGR boost sensor
  • Faulty EGR boost sensor solenoid
  • vacuum line fault
  • PCM malfunction

Here is diagnostic test procedure:

graphic

Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated

This is a Paysite

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Hi Eric Thanks for reply,
I had checked the following link http://www.mazdaforum.com/archive/threads/p0106-on-2000-and-later-mpv-39698-1.html
and tried troubleshooting, I find the solenoid OK. How do I determine the boost sensor is faulty? is the CEL because the sensor is faulty or is the sensor acting up due to another area that need to be checked. In short do you think replacing the sensor will solve the CEL? Also would appreciate if you could let me know if the MAP sensor and Boost sensor are same for my vehicle, Autozone gave me the CEL code and said I need to change the MAP sensor.
Expert:  Eric replied 9 years ago.

Autozone was partially correct, but your vehicle doesnt have a MAP sensor, it has an EGR boost sensor and boost sensor solenoid.

Here is a test you can do on the boost solenoid without a diagnostic level2 scanner:

Remove the EGR boost solenoid. Apply air pressure to port "B" of solenoid valve(see below). Air should flow from port "C" only. Using jumper wires, apply battery voltage to solenoid valve terminals. Apply air pressure to port "A" of solenoid valve. Air should flow from port "B" only. If solenoid fails either test, replace solenoid. (EGR boost solenoid is located next to the air cleaner)

graphic

Do this test before replacing anything. IF it passes, and all vacuum lines are ok(no clogs, no cracks or breaks or signs of collapsing), then you will be looking at a faulty PCM. If it is the PCM that is faulty, it will need to be replaced by a dealer as it will need to be programmed with a Mazda scanner.

This is a Paysite

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Hi Eric,
I went ahead and did replace the solenoid last week as I tested the earlier solenoid applying power and that did seem faulty, I then disconnected the (-)battery terminal to reset the CEL and when I restarted I did not have the CEL but my joy was short lived it came back on after a few miles and the code shows P0106 now compared to P0106 and P1518 before I replaced the solenoid. Do you think replacing the boost sensor will solve the CEL?How do I determine the boost sensor is faulty?
Expert:  Eric replied 9 years ago.

Sorry, I misread on which you had already tested. To do full test on the boost sensor you have to have a diagnostic scanner Level2 at least, but there are some tests you can do, as well as checking the wiring. Below are the test and wiring diagrams highlighting the boost sensor wiring. While the majority of the time it is a faulty boost sensor there is always a chance of an open/short in wiring harness, so if you can, do the tests you can do to check for open or short in wiring to eliminate that before spending the money on the boost sensor.

Test:

graphic

graphic

Wiring diagram:

graphic

graphic

graphic

This is a Paysite