|Subject:||00-03 Cadillac EB KB 4.6L LD8 L37 Engine Northstar Updated Crankshaft Sensors - kw DTC MIL driveability #PIP3036 - (06/29/2004)|
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms in the PI.
00-03 Cadillac EB KB 4.6L (LD8) (L37) Engine Northstar updated Crankshaft Sensors .
The engine assembly part numbers listed below have the updated crank sensor installed in them as of March 23rd, 2004. All stock within GMSPO warehousing system (listed part number of engine assemblies) as of March 23rd have the updated sensors. The new cranks sensor part numbers are:
12575481- UPPER-(GRAY IN COLOR)
12575482-LOWER-(BLACK IN COLOR)
88894249-LD8-2000 MY-MODELS: EA, KD, KE, KS
88894250-L37-2000 MY-MODELS: EA, KD, KF, KY
88894238-L47-2001 and 2002 MY-MODELS: GA
88894239-L37-2001 and 2002 MY- MODELS: EA, KF, KY, KD
88894240-LD8-2001 and 2002 MY- MODELS: EA, KD, KE, KS
88984253-L37-2003 MY-MODEL: KA
88984254-LD8-2003 MY-MODEL: KA
88984255-L47-2003 MY-MODEL: GA
KE: DEVILLE D' ELEGANCE
KF: CONCOURS (DEVILLE)
KS: SEVILLE SLS
KY: SEVILLE STS
Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.
((2000 CADILLAC DEVILLE 4.6L (LD8) ENGINE) and (2001 CADILLAC DEVILLE 4.6L (LD8) ENGINE) and (2002 CADILLAC DEVILLE 4.6L (LD8) ENGINE) and (2003 CADILLAC DEVILLE 4.6L (LD8) ENGINE) and (2000 CADILLAC ELDORADO 4.6L (LD8, L37) ENGINE) and (2001 CADILLAC ELDORADO 4.6L (LD8, L37) ENGINE) and (2002 CADILLAC ELDORADO 4.6L (LD8, L37) ENGINE) and (2000 CADILLAC SEVILLE 4.6L (LD8, L37) ENGINE) and (2001 CADILLAC SEVILLE 4.6L (LD8, L37) ENGINE) and (2002 CADILLAC SEVILLE 4.6L (LD8, L37) ENGINE) and (2003 CADILLAC SEVILLE 4.6L (LD8, L37) ENGINE) )
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement
- Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
- Remove the oil filter adaptor. Refer to Oil Filter Adapter Replacement in Engine Mechanical 4.6L.
- Remove the crankshaft sensor electrical connector.
- Remove the crankshaft sensor retaining bolt.
- Remove the crankshaft sensor.
Important: Inspect the crankshaft sensor O-ring for wear or damage. If a problem is found, replace the O-ring.
- Lubricate the crankshaft sensor O-ring with clean engine oil.
Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
- Install the crankshaft sensor and the retaining bolt.
Tighten the retaining bolt between 10 N·m (89 lb in).
- Install the crankshaft sensor electrical connector.
- Install the oil filter adaptor. Refer to Oil Filter Adapter Replacement in Engine Mechanical.
- Install the Air Deflector. Refer to Air Deflector Replacement - Front in Body Front End.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Operate the engine and inspect crankshaft sensor for engine oil leaks.
- Perform the CKP System Variation Learn Procedure .