Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor

How do you replace the ignition switch on a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

Here are directions:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable to disable the air bag system(if equipped).

2. If equipped, remove the tilt lever.

3. Remove the upper and lower steering column covers with a suitable Torx® driver.

4. Using Snap-On® tamper-proof bit TTXR20BO or equivalent, remove the ignition switch screws.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Ignition switch mounting screw locations

1. Pull the ignition switch away from the column.

2. Release the 2 connector locks on the 7-terminal wiring connector and remove the connector from the ignition switch.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Unplug the connector from the switch

1. Release the connector lock on the key-in-switch and halo light 4-terminal connector and remove the connector from the ignition switch.

2. Insert the key into the ignition lock and ensure it is in the LOCK position.

3. Using a small screwdriver, depress the key cylinder retaining pin so it is flush with the key cylinder surface.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Key cylinder retaining pin

1. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position and the lock will release from its seated position.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Unseat the lock cylinder ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: ... then pull the cylinder from the switch

Do not remove the cylinder at this time.

1. Turn the key to the LOCK position and remove the key.

2. Remove the ignition lock.

To install:

1. Install the electrical connectors to the switch. Ensure the switch locking tabs are fully seated in the wiring connectors.

2. Mount the ignition switch to the column. The dowel pin on the ignition switch assembly must engage with the column park-lock slider linkage. Ensure the ignition switch is in the lock position (flag is parallel with the ignition switch terminals).

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 8: View of the switch from the column

1. Apply a dab of grease to the flag and pin. Position the park-lock link and slider to mid-travel. Position the ignition lock against the lock housing face. Ensure the pin is inserted into the park-lock link contour slot and tighten the retaining screw.

2. With the ignition lock and switch in the LOCK position, insert the lock into the switch assembly until it bottoms.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 9: Ignition switch mounting pad

1. Assemble the column covers.

2. If equipped, install the tilt wheel lever.

3. Connect the negative battery cable.

Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated

This is a Paysite

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor