JHoop, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner

how hard is it to change a water pump on a 2002 hyundai accent

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  JHoop replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer my name isXXXXX you for choosing

From the brief description of the problem, I would say you are headed in the right direction. The Water Pump can be a daunting task on any car. Anytime you are dealing with the cooling system, especially draining the cooling system, you have to be careful of spillage. Part of the requirements is to take some of the timing belt components down. I will enclose the procedure for you to take a look at.

1. Drain the coolant and disconnect the coolant inlet pipe connection hose from the coolant pump.
2. Remove the drive belt and engine coolant pump pulley.
3. Remove the timing belt covers and the timing belt idler.
4. Remove the coolant pump mounting bolts, then remove the alternator brace.
5. Remove the coolant pump assembly from the cylinder block.

1. Check each part for cracks, damage or wear, and replace the coolant pump assembly if necessary.
2. Check the bearing for damage, abnormal noise and sluggish rotation, and replace the coolant pump assembly if necessary.
3. Check for coolant leakage. If coolant leaks then the seal is defective. Replace the coolant pump assembly.
1. Clean the gasket surfaces of the coolant pump body and the cylinder block.
2. Install anew coolant pump gasket to the coolant pump and tighten the bolts to the specified torque. Tightening torque Coolant pump to cylinder block.
A: 12 - 15 Nm (120 - 150, 9 - 11 ft. lbs.)
B: 20 - 27 Nm (200 - 270, 15 - 20 ft. lbs.)

3. Install the timing tensioner and timing belt. Adjust the timing belt tension.
4. Install the timing belt covers.
5. Install the coolant pump pulley and drive belt, and then adjust the belt tension.
6. Refill the system with clean coolant.
7. Run the engine and check for leaks.

Check for leaks around the timing componants. Usually a water pump that is gone, will lead around the front of the pump and these areas. Might not hurt to go ahead and flush the coolant system, while you got the pump and coolant drained already. I hope this helps you. If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop