Lurch
Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Ford, Chev Cert, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics.Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years.
1609972

1995 Nissan Maxima, I need to change my water pump, how do

I am in the process of replacing the water pump on a 1995 Nissan Maxima. I have removed the main timing chain tensioner cover and have moved the timing chain tensioner piston inward and have it fully depressed. The slack in the chain is not enough to remove the water pump. Do you have any suggestions on how to get more slack in the chain or a technique to finish this install? I have turned the crankshaft to obtain slack. Are there any special tools needed?
Category: Car
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.
The Chain Tensioner has to be removed.
I can post instructions on removal of water pump if you would like
Experience: Ford, Chev Cert, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics.Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Lurch's Post: Please post instructions on removal of water pump for the 1995 Nissan Maxima. Are there any problems with removing the main timing chain tensioner?
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Lurch's Post: I cannot depress the tensioner enough to place a pin to hold the piston. Does this require a special tool?   Do you have any suggestions for depressing the piston and placing the pin with such tool? Can I remove the securing bolts to the tensioner without the piston being compressed? If so, would it cause any problems?

The direction calls for the removal of the right engine mounting and I have not removed the right engine mounting. The removal the right engine mounting would allow for more working room. I do not understand the requirement of removing the right engine mounting.
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.

You are pushing against the Timing Chain Sleeve?
I use a flatblade to pry against it. You may have to "rock" the chain by moving crank a little both ways

If you feel the motor mount doesn't help, then that is a personal call. You do have to tilt the pump up to remove

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Perhaps I need to remove the right engine mounting to allow enough room for the prying. How would you suggest that I support the engine when removing the right engine mounting?
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.
If the vehicle is on the ground, use a hydraulic jack off to the side of the block / oil pan or engine hoist from the top to support.
If it is on jack stands, you will have to combine a little safe engineering to get the jack up to it. Blocks, etc.