Kyle N.
Kyle N., ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master tech, L1, CA. Smog License,
652461

I have a 1998 Honda Accord. I have the code of p1738 ...

I have a 1998 Honda Accord. I have the code of p1738: Automatic transaxle concerns. mechanic recommends replacing solenoid valve, total cost $330. will this fix the problem? Can I just reset and see if problem persists? Is this error critical?
Category: Car
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 6 years ago.

That seems excessive to me. Did they itemize the repair estimate? A solenoid valve isn't the problem anyway you need to replace the 2nd clutch pressure switch. Here's a picture of the switch and how easy it is to replace,

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok kyle, will buy a new 2nd clutch pressure switch from a honda parts dealer and replace it myself. are there other probable cause of a P1738 fault like poor electrical connection or more importantly, transmission problems? I would just like to make sure that it is an electrical fault and a fairly common problem.
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 6 years ago.
It could be the connection/wiring but I have had a few of these before and I'd just check the wiring and just replace it. I'm fairly sure this is your problem bases on what the code is and my past dealings with the code.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Kyle Northrop's Post: hi kyle, i just erased the error code and reset the light. will drive it and see if it lights up again, then will replace the pressure switch/ check the wiring. this error is not that critical right? thanks and your response was really a big help.
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 6 years ago.
It should kill your transmission but I would fix it right away. Shifting problems are likely until you replace it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Kyle Northrop's Post: 'kill your transmission' would mean damage it?
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 6 years ago.
Yes. That's exactly what I mean. It's not a big enough deal that it will make the transmission quit or anything.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Kyle Northrop's Post: Thanks kyle. One last question, by resetting the error and turning off the warning light, if there really is an error in the 2nd clutch pressure switch it will light on again right?
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 6 years ago.

Yes if you reset the light and it comes back on with the same code then there is an error in the 2nd clutch pressure switch.

Kyle N., ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master tech, L1, CA. Smog License,