wrench9124
wrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Master Certified, ASE Master Certified, 32 years exp, GM Hybrid Certified, GM Mark of Excellence

2003 Trailblazer frount CV Joint replacement instructions

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The inboard (upper) bearings have seemed to have failed on the CV Joint. I need to remove and replace the CV (in a rual area) It is the driver side CV Joint, and metal fillings are present at the upper end of the shaft.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  wrench9124 replied 6 years ago.

Hello, here are the repair instructions on drive axle removal and joint replacement.

Wheel Drive Shaft Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 656803  Size: SH

1. Raise the vehicle.
  2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
    Object Number: 687450  Size: SH

3. Remove the engine protection shield.
    Object Number: 886518  Size: MH

4. Remove the wheel speed sensor wiring harness from the retainers.
    Object Number: 886517  Size: MH

5. Disconnect the wheel speed sensor from the harness.
    Object Number: 886462  Size: SH

6. Remove the retaining bolt for the front brake hose.
    Object Number: 887945  Size: SH

7. Remove the front stabilizer bar link from the lower control arm.
    Object Number: 886764  Size: SH

8. Remove the upper shock module retaining from the shock tower.
    Object Number: 643351  Size: SH

9. Remove the tie rod end from the steering knuckle.
    Object Number: 731542  Size: SH

10. Remove the left and right upper ball joint pinch bolt and nut.
  11. Remove the shock module from the shock tower.
  12. Remove the steering knuckle from the upper control arm.
  13. Remove the front wheel drive axle from the steering knuckle.
    Object Number: 887942  Size: SH

14. Using mechanics wire or hook, support the front shock module/steering knuckle to the frame.
    Object Number: 751412  Size: SH

15. Disconnect the left side wheel drive shaft from the differential carrier assembly by placing a brass drift against the tripot housing. Firmly strike the brass drift outward from the case with a hammer. Strike hard enough to overcome the snap ring pressure holding in the shaft.
    Object Number: 751411  Size: SH

16. Disconnect the right side wheel drive shaft from the clutch fork housing assembly by placing a brass drift against the tripot housing. Firmly strike the brass drift outward from the case with a hammer. Strike hard enough to overcome the snap ring pressure holding in the shaft.
  17. Pull the wheel drive shaft straight out from the differential carrier assembly or the clutch fork housing assembly.
  18. Remove the wheel drive shaft.

Wheel Drive Shaft Inner Joint and Boot Replacement

Tools Required

J 8059 Snap Ring Pliers
J 35566 Drive Axle Seal Clamp Plier
J 41048 Drive Axle Swage Ring Clamp Tool

Disassembly Procedure

Object Number: 243181  Size: SH

1. Remove the clamp from the boot with a pair of side cutters.

Important: Do not damage the tripot housing (1).

2. Use a hand grinder to cut through the swage ring.
  3. Remove the tripot housing (1) and the trilobal tripot bushing (2) from the halfshaft bar (5).
  4. Thoroughly degrease the housing (1) and the spider assembly.
  5. Discard the tripot bushing.

6. Use 320 grit 3M cloth, or equivalent, to remove any evident corrosion in the transmission sealing surface.
  7. Allow the housing (1) and the spider assembly to dry .
    Object Number: 244513  Size: SH

Important: Handle the tripot spider assembly (1) with care. Tripot balls and needle rollers may separate from the spider trunnion if the tripot balls and needle rollers are not handled carefully.

8. Compress the tripot boot (4) onto the halfshaft bar (3), away from the spider assembly (1).
    Object Number: 244491  Size: SH

9. Spread the spacer rings (1, 3) using J 8059 , or equivalent, to remove the spider assembly (2).
    Object Number: 233581  Size: SH

10. Remove the following items:
    The spacer ring (1)
    The spider assembly (2)
    The second spacer ring (3)
    The tripot boot (4)
  11. Discard the tripot boot and spacer rings.
  12. Clean the halfshaft bar. Use a wire brush to remove any rust in the boot mounting area grooves.
  13. Inspect the following items:
    The needle rollers
    The needle bearings
    The trunnion
  14. Inspect the tripot housing for unusual wear, cracks, or other damage.
  15. Use the appropriate kit to replace any damaged parts.
wrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: GM Master Certified, ASE Master Certified, 32 years exp, GM Hybrid Certified, GM Mark of Excellence
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How can I download these instructions??
if you asking about the answer i posted, you can either copy and paste to a word processor or note pad. or just print!!