Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness

knocking noise and almost stalled out..hood..power steering fluid

My car started to make a knocking noise and almost stalled out. There was some sort of oil splatter under the hood directly over the power steering fluid container.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 years ago.

Did it continue to run afterwards and did you have power steering?

Any gauges off the normal marks or is your check engine light on?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I got nervous and turned it off. Still had power steering. I was about a half mile from my house I started it back up and it ran here just very loudly
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
also there was no problems showing on any of the gauges
Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 years ago.
I suspect the power steering pump may be going bad. If the pressure valve stuck it may have vented a lot of fluid back to the reservoir and caused it to spray out. And it would make a lot of noise. If it's running with the hood up you may be able to isolate the noise there. If that is what's making the noise-do not drive it. It can shuck the belt off and you lose all your power assist and it can put metal through the system and trash the box. Also take a white piece of paper or paper towel and check the fluid in the power steering-rub some on the paper or towel and look for black or silver particles-this is a sure sign of a pump failure.