Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Ford, Chev Cert, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics.Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years.

1998 Grand Prix: removing..park..the release so the shift lever

I have a 1998 Grand Prix that I''m having problem w/removing the key after turning the car off, the key dose not turn all of the way to the off position. Also once I put the car into park I can no longer push in the release so the shift lever can move. I have found temp. fixes for this but would like to know what the permanent repair is.
Category: Car
Expert:  Lurch replied 8 years ago.

It sounds like the Shift Interlock Solenoid.
Be sure you have Brake Lights first
The Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) is designed to prevent shifting out of PARK without depressing the brake pedal. The BTSI Solenoid and the Park Lock Solenoid are energized when the Ignition Switch is in OFF, RUN, BULB TEST or START. When the Park Lock Solenoid is energized, the mechanical lock connected to this solenoid is pulled away from the shifter. The Stoplamp Switch receives ignition voltage in OFF, RUN, BULB TEST or START from the BTSI Fuse and is normally closed, providing voltage through circuit 1135 to the BTSI Solenoid, energizing the solenoid and mechanically locking the Transmission Shift Lever whenever it is in PARK. When the brake pedal is depressed, the Stoplamp Switch opens, removing voltage from circuit 1135 to the BTSI Solenoid. The BTSI Solenoid is deenergized and the mechanical lock connected to the BTSI Solenoid pulls back from the shifter, allowing shifting.

Shift Interlock Switch:

Shift Interlock Solenoid: