Kyle N.
Kyle N., ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master tech, L1, CA. Smog License,
652461

2003 jeep liberty: sounded..metal..oil was leaking behind the pulley

Customer Question

My wife 2003 jeep liberty started to make a funny noise. When I checked it out it sounded like metal on metal and a small amount of oil was leaking behind the pulley in the middle on engine.
Category: Car
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 6 years ago.

Is that pulley for the fan clutch or is it a belt tensioner?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
timming pulley i think..it's the one in the middle
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 6 years ago.
Do you think you could take a picture and upload it? The tree icon in the toolbar is the image uploading tool.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
IT'S THE PULLEY ABOVE THE REALLY BIG ONE AT THE BOTTOM
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 6 years ago.
ok let me check it out. Hold on.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

if you need a better picture ..i have one

Expert:  Kyle N. replied 6 years ago.
Yes please upload it if you can
Kyle N., ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master tech, L1, CA. Smog License,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it's the one above the big on at the bottom..to the left of the power steering pumpgraphic
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 6 years ago.
Okay I see what you're talking about. That's the waterpump pulley. Jeeps have a problem where that front waterpump bearing goes bad. In order to replace it you'll have to use a fan clutch tool to remove it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

but it's leaking oil..is that normal

Expert:  Kyle N. replied 6 years ago.
No it's not normal. Replace it and you'll fix it. The oil is probably from the seal bearing assembly.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

graphic IT'S THIS ONE..THE MIDDLE ONE

Expert:  Kyle N. replied 6 years ago.
Yeah I understand which one it is. Trust me it's the waterpump pulley. There is a small amount of oil in the sealed bearing that could have leaked out but usually coolant will seep out there no oil.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 6 years ago.
no problem sorry if I confused you I wanted to make sure that was the pulley you where talking about. Don't worry it's the waterpump pulley.