DCM
DCM, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs Mechanic
157834

galant: speedometer..working...it needs replacing?

my 2001Mitsubishi galants speedometer is not working.I think it might be the speed sensor.Where is this sensor at? And what do i look for to see if it needs replacing?
Category: Car
Expert:  DCM replied 9 years ago.
Speed sensor is located on top of the transmission bell housing and it should be visible when you look down under the hood, it's the only round unit with wire connected on top of it.

If the speedometer is driven by cable, you should see the cable from the fire wall going to the transmission.

If the speedometer is electronic, and the issue is the speed sensor, the check engine should turn on.

Remove the unit wiring harness connector, and check the resistance of the unit and it should read approximately 250ohms. If the resistance is incorrect, remove the unit put it on a vise or something that will hold it steady, back probe the two wires, and spin the gear slowly and see it the multimeter should pick up pulses signal form 0 to .05 volts, if not the unit is at fault.