Roadside Jerry
Roadside Jerry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Auto Mehanic 39 years,30 with the NYPD Fleet Service Division

3000 gt: blows white smoke from exhaust pipe

i have 1995 Mitsubishi 3000 gt,i drove it from Florida to New York:sometimes it blows white smoke from exhaust pipe,especially when im in slow ny traffic:than it goes away.I have no power loss and my heat/air work fine.If i put my finger in the tail pipe theres a little oil residue.PS this didnt happen in Florida,car has been well kept/new rebuilt tranny
Hello Edensgate,I would believe that it a normal condition.If you are concerned ,I would just keep an eye on coolant level.If you are at a light you may notice the car in front of you may also expel about a cup full of water out of the tailpipe as it takes of.It is just the condensing of the combustion gases in the exhaust system.Jerry.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Roadside Jerry's Post: what about the oil (3 drips or so)in tailpipe;someone told me its the seals,and would cost me $2500 PS he didnt even look under the hood;Mitsubishi dealer;and another told me $1500,They all just looked at the tailpipe while standing up;and white smoke came out
I would just keep a watch on the oil and coolant level.I would have to believe it wasn't oil,but water mixed with the carbon from the exhaust .