Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician

1997 catera: front caliper with clamp..brake pads..cap..brake fluid

can I compress front caliper with clamp to allow me to install new brake pads on my 1997 catera--I''ve tried but the caliper is not moving,The cap is off the brake fluid resivor.
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.

The front caliper pistons should easily compress with a c-clamp. If the pistons cannot be pushed back into their bores, then the caliper(s) will need to be replaced. Over time, calipers start to rust and pit inside from moisture and contamination in the brake fluid if the fluid has not been changed regularly. The result will be frozen caliper pistons that cannot be pushed back in. This would not be an uncommon occurrence if the vehicle is 11 years old and has never had the brake fluid changed.

Replacing the calipers is the cure in this case.

Hope this is helpful; if so, please click my accept button... thanks!

Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.

I have noticed that for some reason you have not yet accepted the answer I provided for your question.

Please click the accept button to complete payment of the amount you have offered for assistance; if you still require help with this question, then please let me know.... thanks!

Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.

I have noticed that you have not responded and the question you asked is still open.
If you still require further assistance with this question, please let me know.
If not, then please click the accept button to close the question.