roger
roger, small engines,muscle cars
Experience:  I have twenty three years experience in small engines,thirteen years in building muscle cars,twenty
6498115

1999 Lexus: corrosion around my terminals..wont start..start...

Perry was a great help, I noticed corrosion around my terminals... but after a thorough cleaning the symptom is the same. My 1999 Lexus GS 300 will not start reliably. On a twist of the key, it makes a single "click" sound and won't start... come back in a moment and then it starts... but it's not consistent. Sometimes it won't start in a day and sometimes it will start now.
Hello,did you check starter wires to make sure they are tight?If loose they will arch giving a clicking sound and then start.Roger
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Roger,
how do I tighten the starter wires? do you think I should just run this car do the dealer?
The wires go down to starter and are located at the back.Nothing special just a socket or wrench to snug them up.It helps if you have a good floor jack because you have to do it from underneath.I dont think i would spend the money at the dealer unless you are uncomfortable in doing it.Roger
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
R!

I just tried snugging the starter connection... it's tight. And the quality of the wires looks great. So now we know: batter is good, connections are clean, starter-wires seem clean and tight.
If the battery has good load voltage,cables are good and clean,starter wires tight then you could have bad solenoid that mounts on starter.In that case you would have to buy a rebuilt or new starter.