Greg, Shop Owner/Lead Tech
Experience:  22yrs Exp. ASE Cert. Brakes, Elect/Electronics ,Eng.Performance., Heat/A/C,Engine Repair

2001 PT Cruiser: automatic transmission will not transit..1st gear

I have at 2001 PT Cruiser - the automatic transmission will not transit out of 1st gear. Code 0700 and 1684 display. After display called up, transmission problem goes away, only to return again.
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 8 years ago.
Hello, steven, these codes graphicgraphicare information codes only. What you will need to do is have it scanned with a capable scanner not a ,code reader,. The reason your problem goes away when the light is on is because the computer substitutes a known good value for whatever sensor is failing. Just guessing,but I bet you have a bad input or output speed sensor on the transmission. The only way to know will be to get it checked at a reputable shop!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Greg's Post: Greg - I have taken the car to a transmission specialist. He just phoned and explained that he hooked up the scanner and was having problems getting a read. Apparently he also noticed variances in the idle speed and a fluctuating speedometer. Is it adivisable that I let him know what you have suspected or is that likely to piss him off ?