Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor

1991 Jaguar XJS: heater..speeds..20 cool down

I have a 1991 Jaguar XJS car. While starting it up and letting it warm up, the heater would make a noise like something was loose in all speeds but the defroster mode.After about 20 minutes, the defroster starting to spew what appeared to be engine coolant. I shut the car down and let it cool down. I later checked the engine coolant and added some. When I restarted, the coolant light remained on.Any ideas what this could be?
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 8 years ago.

It definitely sounds like the heater core has developed a leak. To confirm this, you need to have a cooling system pressure test done.

Here are directions to replace the heater core:

This is a Paysite

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Eric's Post: Hi, can the car be driven? Any idea on what it would cost to replace the heater core. Is it also possible that it is a hose?
Expert:  Eric replied 8 years ago.

Getting coolant thru the vents is a sure sign of faulty heater core. An aftermarket heater core runs between $250-325, labor will run about the same. Figure $500-650 parts and labor.

As far as continued driving, whenever there is a coolant leak, even with you checking it every day, there is ALWAYS the possibility of overheating and causing further damage such as water pump failure, blown headgasket, or radiator failure. In addition, the coolant will start leaking onto your carpet at some point and staining it.

This is a Paysite