Power steering pump on 1997 Lumina (Chevy) makes loud ...

Power steering pump on 1997 Lumina (Chevy) makes loud noises. Pump was changed out and attemp to purg made. We can''t get rid of the foam. What do I look for?
How did you go about bleeding the power steering system?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Attached tubing to pump and placed in can. Added fluid while daughter turned steering wheel. Wheels are jacked off the floor.
Ok did you have the engine running while you did this?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to carhelp4uhere's Post: yes

Ok then lets start this over. First off the foam is being caused by air in the system. This could be from a leaking oring or improper bleeding of the system. Here is the proper way to bleed this car, I would try this and if it still continues to have the foam, you are going to need to start to look at all of the fittings for a possibly air leak. This could be as simple as a split o-ring. Anway here is how you should be bleeding this system.

• Turn OFF the engine. Key in the on position.
  • Raise the front wheels off of the ground.
  • Turn the steering wheel fully to the left.
    Object Number: 105105  Size: SH

• Fill the fluid reservoir to the FULL/COLD level.

Leave the cap off.

• Leave the engine OFF.

With an assistant checking the level and the condition of the power steering fluid, turn the steering wheel fully to the left and fully to the right at least 20 times.

On systems with long return lines or fluid coolers, turn the steering wheel fully to the left and fully to the right at least 40 times.
    Trapped air may cause the fluid to overflow. Thoroughly clean any spilled fluid to allow for a leak check.
    Keep the fluid level at FULL/COLD.
  • Check the fluid constantly while turning the wheel.
    Ensure that there are no bubbles in the fluid.
    If there are any bubbles in the fluid, recheck all of the connections, then repeat Step 5.
  • Turn ON the engine.
    7.1. With the engine idling, maintain the fluid level.
    7.2. Reinstall the cap.

Object Number: 105114  Size: SH

• Center the wheels.
  • Lower the front wheels to the ground.
  • Keep the engine running for 2 minutes.
  • Turn the steering wheel in both directions. Verify that the following conditions apply:
    Smooth power assist
    Noiseless operation
    Proper fluid level
    Absence of system leaks
    Proper fluid condition
    Absence of bubbles
    Absence of foam
    Absence of fluid discoloration
    Customer: replied 8 years ago.
    We will try that and be back to you shortly
    Customer: replied 8 years ago.
    Well, that procedure helped, but we still have foam. I am satisfied we worked the pump w/the engine off, enough that if that was going to be the final solution, it would have worked by now. We got lots of air and the bubbles got smaller, but they did not go away. So--you mentioned O-rings. Is that the next thing? If yes--where are they?
    Well the orings should be at the end of all of the power steering connections. I would addressthe o-rings at the pump due to the fact that you had them apart. They really should have been replace when you had the connection apart. Keep in mind that when you remove the hose, you must also bleed the system over again. Let me know how you make out.
    Customer: replied 8 years ago.
    We did not do the o-rings. Thanx for your help. I am sure that will fix it. I will click on "accept" so you can get paid. I will also give a positive report on your help. Thanx again, and Happy New Year.
    Thanks for using Feel free to contact me with any problems and I will assist you as best as possible. Good luck!