2001 pontiac bonneville: my foot on the gas pedal as i..warming..die

Customer Question

i have a 2001 pontiac bonneville that always seems to give me trouble in the winter time. In the morning, i have to keep my foot on the gas pedal as i start the car as well as when the car is on and warming up. if i don''t do this, the car will die. as i do this, it makes rattling noises under the car. it also spits out black liquid through the mufflers as well as the lights dim and come back on. sometimes it smells like burnt gasoline and sometimes it doesn''t. after about 5-7 minutes when the car warms up, all the symptoms disappear and the car drives fine. i was told it was the catalyctic converter so i replaced it in February, but it is still acting up. i was also told it was the climate control sensor. i replaced it and nothing. now i was told it was the thermostat. what do these symptoms point to?
Category: Car
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
There are few engine control sensors that this could be caused by. The first thing to look for would be a check engine light. The problem that you are speaking of is a problem that could be caused by the mass air flow sensor, map sensor, oxygen sensor, coolant temp sensor, or even possibly the cam shaft or crank shaft postion sensor. The correct way to diagnose this would be to one look for a check engine light which would indicate a trouble code that would direct you to your problem, and secondly have this vehicle hooked up to a class 2 scan tool that has the ability to watch engine control sensors as the operate. This tool os like most repair facilities use to properly diagnose problems like this. Sometimes a simple test like this is worth the money that it costs so that you do not keep wasting money on items that are not failing. Feel free to contact me with any questions or if you would prefer a second opinion. I wish I could tell you the exact fix, but all of the items I have listed can cause for this problem. Good luck!