Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION

2002 malibu: gear shift, shake the care..Stumped..switches..mechanical

I have a 2002 malibu that i put the key in the ignition and it will not turn. I tried to move gear shift, shake the care just in case transmition was jamed, moved sterering wheel up and down and turned it.I am Stumped I was always lead to believe that all key switches was mechanical not electrical to stop them from turning Iam I wrong what else could it be??? p.s. yes i made sure it was right key i even tried the extra one
Category: Car
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
This believe it or not is not an uncommon problem with the Malibu's. The normal cause is an internal failure in the ignition cylinder. What happens is that either a tumbler has stuck or fallen out of place or that the metal retainer that holds the tumblers in place has become lodged. Either way that only real fix will be to replace the ignition cylinder. You can try spraying a small amount of wd40 into the key opening and tapping the back side of the key with a small hammer while trying to turn the key. This very rarely works but it is worth a try. Feel free to contact me with any questions or if you would prefer a second opinion. As far as the replacement cylinder goes, you will be stuck with a dealer to get a new one. You must also get them to give you the procedure to relearn the theft system as the ignition cylinder houses a theft deterrent sensor. As I said, feel free to contact me with any questions. Good luck!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to carhelp4uhere's Post: can you by pass the theft system if your not interested in having it? can you just put in a new Ignition cylinder and not use the anti theft system?
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
No there is no way to bypass this. The theft system is used everytime you start your car. The theft system is not what it actually making your key bind up. It is simply the ignition lock cylinder failing. Feel free to contact me with any further questions.
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience: ASE CERTIFICATION