Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience!
5624692

An RV Coach with a Banks Turbo Charger and my question is..hose..fail

We own an RV Coach with a Banks Turbo Charger and my question is if a waste gate hose comes off could your turbo charger fail
Category: Car
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

If the turbocharger wastegate was not operational because of a loose hose, you would experience full boost from the turbocharger with nothing to regulate it. This would likely damage the engine before the turbocharger. The turbocharger is designed to spin all the time with the wastegate opening to relieve the excess pressure instead of it being fed into the engine.

The turbocharger could have been damaged by excessive heat depending on how long it was driven like this. Many vehicles have boost protection built into the programming in case a drastic overboost is detected. As a matter of fact my 1989 Probe's turbo wastegate has a tear in it. It does not work at all, however when my ECM detects too much boost it shuts down engine operation to avoid failure of the engine.

Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much for the answer... could we could a bit further... of course with pay... We were 17 miles from home when our RV started smoking, we drove a little further hoping to reach home and then the smoke was so severe that we had to pull over and call for help. Our turbo charger had just went out the prior year and the previous mechanic replaced it, and replaced the waste gate hose. Now the current mechanic states the turbo charger has gone and it is due to the waste gate hose coming off, he states the waste gate hose was not the correct hose and to small which is why it came off. Could you give me your input... I am at a loss on who to believe. We have a Banks Turbo Charger and the previous mechanic states that the RV had a turbo charger on the RV was a factory Cummins part with an aftermarket Banks Performance System...
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.

What is the current mechanic saying is actually wrong with the turbocharger.

Where was the smoke coming from... the engine compartment, the tailpipe or someplace else?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Current mechanic, which specializes in Diesel Engines basically states turbo charger blew due to incorrect hose, hose came off so turbo charger destroyed, he checked engine but all was okay there... smoke was coming from exhaust. He sent me an email with picture showing correct hose for that turbo charger and the one that was on ours, and stated "Picture of the turbo and improper, too short waste gate hose that caused the turbo failure.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Second time sent, I have not received response on this. Thank you in advance
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.

It is a possibility that with the wastegate non operational the trubo could have been overheated from the constant boost. The heat could have destroyed an oil seal, that would have caused oil to enter the exhaust and cause excessive smoke. Althought this is possible, I personally would have expected to see engine damage occur first.

Is the turbocharger now seized up? Has the impeller been damaged? Is their shaft play? There are many different failures that can occur inside the turbo.