mackin1, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Foreign/Domestic Vehicles

Have a 91 TBird. Battery went dead. Replaced battery with new one.

Customer Question

Have a 91 TBird. Battery went dead. Replaced battery with new one. Car started immediately but battery light came on. Drove for about 15 minutes. Everything worked ok with the exception of headlights (parking lights were ok). Overnite the battery was drained completely. I am thinking I might have a bad light switch in instrument panel. What's up?
Category: Car
Expert:  mackin1 replied 8 years ago.

Hi there and welcome to JA

You have a short circuit within the electrical system thats draining the battery. To find out disconnect the negative cable from the battery get a test light and put it between the the disconnected cable and negative battery post-the test light coming On confrims the short-now start removing fuses that one that turns the test light off is the trouble circuit.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What kind of test light do I need and where would I purchase one?
Expert:  mackin1 replied 8 years ago.
Go to any auto parts store and just ask the counter for it. They should know what it is-runs less than $20.00.