Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

lincoln town car: i hooked..(1988) something started smoking

Customer Question

i hooked up battery wrong in my lincoln town car (1988) something started smoking underneath the alternator....Any Ideas??
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
Sure!

You might have hooked up the battery wrong.

If not, there is simply an exposed wire (hot) touching ground somewhere. If this is the case, you will have to take things apart until you find your problem. It might be the Main hot wire to the alternator.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to AMEDEE's Post: Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX doesn't really help that much.. I know that i hooked the battery up wrong... I am looking for some more possibilities on where to begin and what to look for to replace I dont think anything is wrong with the alternator. Thank you for your time..
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
You are going to have to begin looking where the smoke was coming from. Thats where the problem lies.

It is just one of those things where you got to get in there and take a look.