Robert, Technician
Experience:  6 years experience with car repair.

2005 Jeep Cherokee: intermittently stall..low speeds)..mechanics

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Jeep Cherokee; I''ve been experiencing problems where it would intermittently stall (especially at low speeds). I''ve taken it for service several times and the Jeep mechanics can''t figure out the problem. Please advice..
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

Hi There!

Has any thing been repaired or replaced?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
they repair transmission, because water was leaking into it. but the problem still persist. engine also sputters.
Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

Hi Again,

I would have them take a close look at your ignition coil. I would also make sure that they have tested for the correct fuel pump pressure. I would also try some fuel injector cleaner to see if it clears up the problem. Also change the fuel filter if it has not been replaced.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok..thank you. did i mention this problem was onging from the time i purchased it
Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

Did you Buy this new?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, brand new. I’ve brought it to their attention when I took it in for service maintenance, and they said that it was the type of gas I was using, then brought it to their attention again and they told me it was the ethanol in the gas. Another response was there's nothing wrong with it. So I finally brought to the original jeep dealership where I purchased it for maintenance and that's where I stand now. I’ve been back and forth at least 6 times for the same problem these past two months. Now it got to the point where other problems are occurring. Batteries just went out. Tires cupped within two years of owning it. It’s unfortunate that I do not fall into lemon law anymore.
Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

I do fill there is some kind of fuel issue, this is why I asked if they had checked the fuel pump pressure. I would really try some fuel injector cleaner or have it throughly cleaned at the shop. I would also look into if there are any service bulletins for this type of situation. I did not see any recalls. I would think they would honor the warranty on this issue since it has been occurring from day one.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
than you i'll ask them to try that
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
would you know why my battery went dead within two years
Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

Hi again!

It is hard to say why the battery died with in two years. You would need to check your charging system. Make sure the alternator is outputting the correct voltage. Another check is to make sure there is no draw on the battery. There are a couple ways to check for draw on a battery. If you are interested in doing this draw test let me know and I can walk you through that, the purpose of the draw test is to see if a component in your vehicle is causing the battery to draw down,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes...i'm interested on how to the draw test. is it something i can do myself?
Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

There are two ways. The first way involves an amp clamp which is pretty expensive. The second way you will need a test light that you can pick up at any local parts store.

Remove negative battery cable from the battery. Using a 12-volt test light, hook one end to the negative battery post the other end to the negative battery cable you just disconnected. The test light will glow or "light" if there is a drain. If the "light or glow" is faint, that is probably normal draw for the clock or computer. If the "light or glow" is bright, then there is a large drain. That should be corrected. Now start removing and replacing the fuses one by one until the light goes out; that one will be the circuit with the drain. Remember to hold in the button in the door jam for the interior lights. I