Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

1997 GMC: Conversion van..stalling problem..traffic lights..shuts off

Customer Question

My wife's 1997 GMC Savana Conversion van is having a stalling problem when she stops at traffic lights. She can drive around all day and as long as she is not stopped, the van is OK. But when she gets to a red light, it just shuts off. The mechanics at the GMC dealer changed the fuekl filter and the fuel pump, thinking that was the problem. It wasn't. Then they changed the driveshaft sensor. That didn't help either. The van has been at the GMC dealer for over 14 days. They cannot reproduce the problem and nothing shows up on their computer. When she gets the van back, it stalls again. She is afraid to drive it. It seems to me that it is an electrical problem at low idle or from the transmission downshifting. Have you ever dealt with a problem like this? Any other suggestions?
Category: Car
Expert:  autotech36 replied 8 years ago.

When this happens can the engine be restarted at all?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, it will restart after a minute or two. But she has stalled out in the middle of an intersection a time or two.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
I was asked for further information and then no answer after that.