Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Chrysler Cirrus: 98,000 miles on it, runs..runs fine..shifts..nuetral

Customer Question

My 1995 automoatic floor shift Chrysler Cirrus has 98,000 miles on it, runs fine except occasionally it just shifts into low gear or nuetral on it''s own and won''t upshift unless you shut it off & turn it back on again. At first it seemed to only happen when it was hot but now it is doing it when it is cold too. We had the transmission checked by a professional transmission shop and they said the transmission is fine and it has to be something in the engine. We replaced a shift sensor. Sometimes the tacometer will or will not work regardless of what the car is doing. Totally confused! How can we fix it?
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Greetings!

Because of the tach jumping around, this leads me to believe you might have a bad vehicle speed sensor. The transmissions computer relies on the vehicle speed sensor to determine which gear the trans should be in. I would be willing to bet this would be a good place to go next.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We have already replaced the speed sensor also.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
What about the wiring?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Nothing was tried with wiring. Also, the car sat in a field for about 2 years before I started driving it. I have been driving it almost every day for a year with this condition. Some days it doesn't act up at all and other days it will do this 10 times in 10 miles. Thank you for your help!
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Rodents could have chewed through wires on the vehicle.

Any check engine lights on? Any codes in the computer?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The check engine light goes off & on for no apparent reason. How would I check codes in the computer? The transmission shop had it on a computer and they just told me it was something with the engine.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
You are going to have to get the cars computer scanned again. Engine codes in the computer can and will effect the transmission.

DO you remember what code it was?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They never told us the code. I will have to take it up to Autozone and have them scan it for free. After I get the code I will let you know. Also, I will be sure to pay you for your time if this all leads us to the answer! Thank You!
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
SOunds good!

I will be waiting!

Oh.. be sure to write down the code number for me.

Thanks!