MechanicMan
MechanicMan, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  Master Auto Technician 28yrs Electrical and Mechanical experience

1995 Buick: Le..clears..awhile the engine dies altogether but restarts

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Buick Le Sabre that has run great for almost 100K miles. Over the last seven months I have had incidents where the engine seems to burp, all the lights on the dash come on and then everything clears. Once in awhile the engine dies altogether but restarts easily and is OK. Thinking a fault may be saved in the ECM I had a mechanic check it out but the ECM reader indicated it could not establish access to the ECM. Could the ECM be bad? I checked all electrical connections and had the fuel pump replaced prior to these events.
Category: Car
Expert:  MechanicMan replied 6 years ago.

Hello

Here is a way you can check, you may have a wiring problem but lets start with this, all you need is a paperclip, try this and let me know

you can get the codes by finding the aldl connector (see below) it is located driver side mounted on bottom of dash or back up under it. Short A and B together with a paperclip or wire with key on engine off and watch "Check Engine" light for blinking each code repeats itself 3 times

example: "blink" pause "blink" "blink" is code 12 "blink" "blink" pause "blink" is 21

remember each code will repeat 3 times then go to next code if you have many codes this will take a while be patient.the last code is 12 Code 12 is always the first and last code, this tells you that it is in diagnostics (first 12) Last 12 means end

Exam: blinks 12 (3x) 21 (3x) 12 (3x) trouble code is 21

Exam: blinks 12 (3x) 32 (3x) 45 (3x) 12 (3x) codes are 32 & 45

Sounds confusing but once you do it...it makes sense hope this helps If you have questions just ask

1GM ALDL Connector

MechanicMan, Master Auto Tech
Experience: Master Auto Technician 28yrs Electrical and Mechanical experience

Hello

Upon further checking this was a tranision year for GM check the connector and tell me which one you have....let me know

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I thank you for your reply. I have been out of town, visiting in NC for New years and just returned home to NJ this evening. Will try to access the codes tomorrow and inform you of the results. If I don't freeze.
Y'all wanna freeze pop from so Tejas cold here too.....burrrr....let me know....HAPPY NEW YEAR
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have the 16 pin connector. Pins 1, 4, 5, 9, 11 and 16 are used.