roger
roger, small engines,muscle cars
Experience:  I have twenty three years experience in small engines,thirteen years in building muscle cars,twenty

1988 GMC: 4x4..ecm..mpe C Module and the ech P U Coil which worked

Customer Question

1988 GMC Sierra 4x4 is blowing the 10 amp ECM/ING fuse all the time. Mechanic replaced MPE C Module and the ECH P U Coil which worked for a day but now it blows the fuse consistantly. This is on my plow truck and I have a snow storm on the way. H E L P.
Category: Car
Expert:  roger replied 6 years ago.
Hello,When you put in new fuse and turn the key to on position does it blow?Or does it run awhile before it does it?Do you have any thing else tied in to that circuit power?roger
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to roger's Post: When it first started I was able to put a fuse in and it worked for a day. Then I was able to put a fuse in and it worked for only a few minutes. Now as soon as I put a fuse in and turn on the ignition, the fuse blows.
Expert:  roger replied 6 years ago.
I am thinking the wire has got hot and melted behind the fuse box somewhere.Pull fuse box by loosen the two screws and pull out to see the wire that goes to the fuse.Follow that wire thru firewall and i bet it is bare and touching metal or burnt two wires together.Find that first may even put a relay inline somewhere to take care of the load at least a 20 amp somewhere thats accessible.Follow the directions from back of box and it will show how to wire it up.they cost about five bucks.Hope that helps.thanks for your question.Roger
roger, small engines,muscle cars
Experience: I have twenty three years experience in small engines,thirteen years in building muscle cars,twenty
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to roger's Post: I'll have to wait until morning to look at the fusebox. I'll let you know what I find.....I'm not too clear on the 20 amp info and relay....I'll let you know about the wires first. It is snowing like crazy here....we have 8 inches and the storm is not even half over.....burried
Expert:  roger replied 6 years ago.
Ok.The 20 amp relay you put inline of the power wire that is blowing somewhere easy to get to.Thats just a safety net incase the component that it is feeding is pulling a little more than the ten amp fuse.Now i know why you need a plow truck!Roger
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay Roger....but I haven't completely solved my problem yet....what if all the wires are good? I can't check this until morning,,,,after I shovel out the truck. Will you still be around then?
Expert:  roger replied 6 years ago.
Lets check the wires first and go from there.I know its not the optimal weather but take your time and look closely.It may be aound ten or so in the morning before i log in.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you....I'll look closely and hopefully it will be easy to find. Talk to you in the morning.
Expert:  roger replied 6 years ago.
Sounds good
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Roger...I checked all the wires and everything looks clean....but it is still blowing fuses. Now what? My Mechanic is taking the truck to look at it. Perhaps he will find out what is going on.
Expert:  roger replied 6 years ago.
did you say that goes to the ecm?If it does unplug ecm and put fuse back in to see if it blows.
Expert:  roger replied 6 years ago.
since that is the ign side may be someting in switch or steering column?Electrical is fun isnt it!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That wire feeds several things.....which one is the ECM?
Expert:  roger replied 6 years ago.
I went blank for a minute.It should be on passenger side kick panel.Do you have any accessories feeding off that wire like extra lights,plow etc?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Nothing Esle runs off of this....The light for the plow run off the light fuse and the plow has a separate fused link off the battery. What do you mean "passenger side kick panel"?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What is an ECM anyway?
Expert:  roger replied 6 years ago.
the ecm is engine control management .Its function regulates fuel mix,timing,reads sensors etc.The kick panel is the plastic piece on the right side of floor board that goes vertical from glove box to floor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Found it.....there was a purple wire that ran over the front drive shaft that was worn through and grounded out. missed it the first time through. Rehung the wire....it's working. Thanks,
Expert:  roger replied 6 years ago.
Iam glad you found it.Now you can get back to plowing snow!